Attitude; HOW GOOD SHOULD BE A GOOD PRO?Posted on:11/25/2005
Written By: Prof. Shukla
|Attitudes are dominant until aroused by motive, which are incited by a need, emotion, idea or physical state. The motives which arouse attitudes in individuals originates into desires for rewards, as in the case of a worker who has a favorable attitude towards his union because it seeks to secure for him increased compensation and benefits. |
MEANING OF ATTITUDE
Attitude may be defined as a way of looking at situations. An attitude expressed verbally by behavior is an opinion. Attitude which expresses a feeling for or dislikes are a product of numerous physical and mental influence. Body process affects attitudes. Good health contributes to favorable attitudes, while illness develops negative attitudes. Cultural and religious backgrounds often determine a person's attitude. A graduate of a School of Business Administration has an educational background, which predisposes to have a favorable attitude towards religion.
Attitudes are dominant until aroused by motive, which are incited by a need, emotion, idea or physical state. The motives which arouse attitudes in individuals originates into desires for rewards, as in the case of a worker who has a favorable attitude towards his union because it seeks to secure for him increased compensation and benefits. Businessman agreement seeks the favorable attitude of employees by rewarding them bonuses and providing benefits for improved performance. On the other hand, unfavorable attitude are aroused in employees who are inwards in their desire for higher wages, recognition or good working condition.
Individuals express their beliefs, philosophy and value their attitudes. A good Indian has attitude towards freedom and democracy, which reveals his benefits and expresses his character. Similarly a responsible American Citizen carries his own attitude, which is most similar as the supremacy of Americans over the world.
KIND OF ATTITUDES:
Attitude can be of three types positive, passive and negative. A positive attitude induces a person to react favorably towards another person, an issue, a policy, or an organization. Many industrial workers have a positive attitude favorable for labor unions and inciting participation in union activities.
An individual’s attitude towards an issue, person or organization may be completely passive. As a result, he will have no opinion on issues or on the group. A worker who has passive attitude towards labor union will have no opinions on controversial questions involving union policy or activities.
Attitude also may be negative, giving an individual an unfavorable opinion of a person, issue or organization. A negative attitude is usually accompanied by a feeling of unpleasantness or dissatisfaction. A worker may have a negative attitude towards labor unions. The negative attitude may create prejudice, which causes the worker to prejudge the aim and activities of labor unions without understanding their contribution to the welfare of workers.
ATTITUDE BECOME OPINIONS:
Opinion is the public expression of active attitudes. The opinions of a person are activated by his attitudes, which are motivated by mental and physical forces that propel him to express his opinion. People usually are not aware of the motives, which impel them to express their attitudes in the form of opinion. The intensity of a person's motives varies from time to time as the urgency of his need increases or diminishes with circumstances. Public relation practitioners should understand the relation of the motives. Communication can appeal to the nexus and motives of the public.
HOW GOOD SHOULD BE A GOOD PRO?
The Ten Commandments for a good PRO:
1. Accurate: A flair for writing and public speaking with an ability to communicate ideas effectively.
2. Incalculable: A wide reading habit and curiosity for forceful words.
3. Gain adequate knowledge at all mass media.
4. Develop good organizing ability and ability to make friends at all levels of society and business.
5. Be cheerful and courteous.
6. Have an infinite capacity for taking pains & doing hard work.
7. Develop ability to persuade people by wise reasoning.
8. Instill in yourself a sense of curiosity about people, things and places, together with an ability to conceptualize situations and understand public moods.
9. Nurture a good imagination with lively inquisitive mind & carry a sense of humor.
10. Be honest & sincere.
These are the important qualities that a good PRO should have in his repertoire.
HOW TO ORGANISE PUBLIC MEETINGS:
Arranging meeting is a task of PRO. The public meetings are arranged to discuss or decide policies or to change some policies of the organization and for declaration of new things concerned.
Check out list for organizing public meetings:
1) PLACE & TIME: A convenient place and a time suitable to the audience should be selected. A badly timed meeting is almost as bad as organizing no meeting at all.
2) AUD1ENCE: The actual filling of the place with the type of audience for whom the speech is intended is another important factor. For this invitation should be extended to those who are interested in the speech. Advance publicity through press & other media should be very useful.
Venue of the function may also be published in the "Engagement" column in the newspapers. Personal contact will go a long way in getting a good gathering.
3) PANEL OF SPEAKERS: The PRO must maintain a panel of speakers whom he can invite to address meetings. This would facilitate to pick and choose the right type of speakers appropriate for the occasion.
4) TALKING POINTS: There is no harm in providing talking points to speakers. Too many speakers might spoil the meeting. Hence, there is a need for minimum & well-informed speakers. Speeches should always be delivered in such a way as to appeal to the audience. Lengthy speeches should be avoided. Make sure public address system depends on the audience.
5) OTHER MEDIA:
Other media such as press, songs & drama, exhibition, film, printed words, etc. may also be used as complementary to make the meeting more interesting
The Program in order of events should be typed and placed on the table for conducting the meeting. A copy may also be circulated to the pressmen at the time of function. To get good coverage of the function, the press should be invited. PRO should see that the press representatives are provided with all facilities for reporting the speech by marking a separate block with proper sitting arrangement.
Speeches alone may not attract the audience. It will add slice to the function if some cultural program or film shows are arranged at the end of the meeting. An exhibition preferably based on theme of the function may also be organized. Distribution of pamphlets and other printed literature relating to the meeting will be an added attraction.
If all the above conditions are fulfilled, the speech, as the main ingredient of oral communication publicity, will achieve its purpose, effectively conveying the message to the intended audience.
Pick a chapter to continue..
Chapter 1: MEANING OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
Chapter 2: PERSONAL QUALITIES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
Chapter 3: ACTIVITIES OF PRO
Chapter 4: PUBLIC RELATIONS PROGRAM
Chapter 5: PUBLICITY, PROPAGANDA AND ADVERTISING
Chapter 6: Attitude; HOW GOOD SHOULD BE A GOOD PRO?
Chapter 7: QUALIFICATIONS OF PRO
Chapter 8: PUBLIC RELATIONS POLICY